Every time you move into a new property, there are six critical steps you must take to ensure a safe, seamless, and stress-free transition:
1. Change the locks. Call a locksmith and make sure the locks are changed at every entry point of your home.
2. Deep clean your home. You likely expect your new home to be spotless when you move in, so be sure to grant the buyers of your old home that same courtesy.
3. Paint the new space. Nothing makes a home feel fresher than adding a bright coat of paint, and what better time is there to get the job done than when the home is already empty?
4. Hire a handyman. You most likely hired an inspector while you were under contract, and there were probably a few items the seller wouldn’t agree to tackle on their own, or would only agree to offer a credit for. Once the time comes for you to move in, don’t delay in getting these problems addressed by a professional.
5. Child-proof (or pet-proof) the home. If you’ve got children, grandchildren, or pets, your home should be a safe environment for them. Always make the necessary adjustments, like adding cabinet locks and covering sharp edges, as soon as you move in.
6. Hire someone to spray for bugs. No one likes a pest-infested home, and preventing a bug problem is much easier than getting rid of one.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.